Pages

Monday, January 25, 2010

Italian Appetizer Bites


I have no idea where it this recipe came from originally, although I've heard maybe from a Woman's Day magazine or something, but it's been floating around for a long time.  It is probably one of the easiest and heartiest appetizers out there.  Even though I think most people have had this before, I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of people who end up asking me for the recipe!  So here it is - Italian Appetizer Bites. 


First you take one 8-ounce container of crescent rolls, unroll it, and place on the bottom of a 13x9 glass dish, pressing at the perforations in order to seal the seams.  I can't believe this recipe could get any easier, but it did, at least for me in San Diego.  When I went to buy the crescent rolls at my local Vons/Safeway just last week, I saw Pillsbury had a great new product - Crescent recipe Creations Seamless Dough Sheet!  Ingenious!

On top of the crescent dough, you layer salami, provolone, and ham and then pour a mixture of beaten egg and shredded Parmesan cheese over the top.  Next you add roasted red peppers and then repeat the layers again, ending with the peppers.

Cover it up with another sheet of crescent dough and brush the top with an egg.  The baking and cooling part is the longest.  You'll need to cover it with foil (but remember to spray the foil with cooking spray so the top doesn't stick!), and cook it for at least 30 minutes to ensure it is well on its way to being set.  Then remove the foil and bake another 30 minutes.  You can even put the foil back on if the crust is browning too much.  After this delicious creation comes out of the oven, there really is no way to cut it until it cools, at least for 45 minutes.  I sometimes wait a full hour.  If you don't, you'll have a fairly gooey mess on your hands, so best to let it set up.  Cut into squares and enjoy! 




Italian Appetizer Bites


Makes about 32 squares


2  8-ounce packages of crescent dough, seamless sheets if you can find them
1/2 lb salami, sliced
1/2 lb provolone cheese, sliced
1/2 lb ham, sliced (I normally use a smoked or black forest ham, not a honey or brown sugar ham)
7 eggs
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1  12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained


Heat oven to 350*.  Spray a 13x9x2 glass baking dish with cooking spray.  Unroll a package of the crescent dough and place in the bottom of the baking dish.  Press seams together if there are any.  Begin layering by covering with 1/2 of the salami, then 1/2 the provolone, then 1/2 the ham.


Lightly beat 6 eggs together with the Parmesan Cheese and pour 1/2 of the mixture over the ham.  Then top with half of the red peppers.  Layer again with the remaining salami, provolone, and ham, then the rest of the egg mixture, and the remaining peppers.


Unroll the other package of crescent dough and place on top.  Lightly beat the remaining egg and brush on top.  Spray foil with cooking spray and cover dish before placing in oven.  Cook for 30-40 minutes with foil on, then remove foil and bake for another 30 minutes or until top has browned.  Cool for about 1 hour and cut into squares.

7 comments:

  1. This looks yummy and perfect for wintertime! I think I'll try and make it but will need company to come and help eat it! Let's have a party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great Superbowl party recipe. And the peppers...yum. They're among my favorite secret ingredients, and way easier to deal with than roasting them myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep - PERFECT for a Superbowl party...now if only the Chargers were in it :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made this for a party the other night; was a hit and I love the concept, I halved the amounts of meat/cheese and it still turned out great. I think next time I'd use mozzarella, I wasn't a huge fan of the provolone but that's just personal preference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a lot for sharing such a wonderful post, it is a very nice site i really enjoyed to visit this site. Balanced Diet || Diet Plan || Balanced Diet Plan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the valuable information you provide in your blog. stuff right here! Good luck for the next! Diet Chart || Balanced Diet Chart || Food Supplements

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very awesome blog indeed. I really like it. It has all the things that a best post has. Legit Information. Best Use of Words etc. Keep working good like this. Cholesterol Lowering Foods || Diet for Glowing Skin || Diabetic Diet

    ReplyDelete