Pages

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Dying Eggs...Brown Eggs!

I tried something new this year!  My mom read about a tip - use brown eggs for a richer, deeper color.  First of all, I love brown eggs.  It isn't the taste; white eggs taste the same as brown eggs.  It isn't the nutritional component; brown eggs have the same nutritional value as white eggs.  It's simply the color.  Whenever I use brown eggs, it makes me happy.  I'm extremely bummed that they are more costly than white eggs, or else they would be my everyday egg.  So this was an exciting day for me - I bought a dozen brown eggs.
 
Some are lighter, some are darker, but whatever shade of tan they are, they definitely hold a special place in my heart.  Would they really result in richer colored Easter eggs, though?  I would soon find out.  I bought your basic kit, although it was Star Wars and came with stickers, and filled my mugs with 1/2 cup warm water and 3 tablespoons of vinegar - not in the pink, however!  Why is that?  The box has elaborate instructions to add vinegar to the mix for all colors except for pink.  If anyone knows the answer, please do share!  
 
So, is it better to use brown eggs for dying?  I tend to think yes!  Unlike white eggs, when the brown eggs dried, they actually looked like painted wooden eggs.  Stunningly rich, yet sub-dued colors, both at the same time.  I hate to clutter them up with Star Wars stickers, but when I see Ryan on Sunday, he may want to do just that...and I will totally let him.  
 
Yes, my sad attempt at an Easter bunny.  Thought you might all get a kick out of it.  I might be able to cook, but I'm definitely not an artist ;)  Have a great holiday.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about brown eggs. They do make me happy. I never knew you could dye brown eggs! That's awesome. Max and his babysitter did a traditional kit and then again with Neon food coloring. I will try brown eggs next year.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete