Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Con Pane Rustic Breads & Cafe - THE best sandwiches!

I haven't blogged about a restaurant in awhile, so I thought I would tell you about my favorite sandwich shop in San Diego.  In actuality, it's a bakery, but their sandwiches are to die for.  Con Pane, Rustic Breads & Cafe is located in Point Loma in the Shelter Island area. 
As you can see in the picture, they have two magnificent blackboards filled up with handwritten menu items.  I'll begin by telling you about some of their many breads.  I haven't tried them all, and in thinking about it, I should definitely make a point to do so! There's a tie for first - Rosemary Olive Oil and Gruyere & Chive.  The good thing about the Rosemary Olive Oil is that you can get that any day of the week (except for Wednesdays since they're closed that day).  It has an incredible crust and a moist middle that is flavored with good quality olive oil and fresh rosemary.  As for the Gruyere & Chive, that is one of their weekly breads, so they only make it on Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. If you are lucky enough to come on one of those days, you can enjoy this loaf made with olive oil, imported Swiss gruyere cheese, chives, and sea salt.  You have to try this bread on it's own; not on a sandwich, not with butter; just simply by itself and enjoy the richness as it melts in your mouth.


Moving onto the sandwiches.  I only have good things to say about the Turkey Cobb with Gorgonzola cheese, the Ultimate PB&J with honey roasted peanut butter, and the Almost Grilled Cheese with triple cream French brie.  However, my heart belongs to the Seasoned Roast  Beef.
The pure mention of goat cheese starts me drooling, but when combining it with seasoned roast beef, fresh roma tomatoes, sliced red onions, mayonnaise and romaine lettuce, there's a pretty good chance I won't be carrying on any conversations while eating this since I'm too focused on my meal.  For any of their sandwiches, you can pick which bread you want it on and nine times out of ten, I go with the Rosemary Olive Oil.  Another good one for this sandwich is their Point Loma Sourdough. 


Mark's devotion is to the Italian Salami.  I hadn't indulged in this one until he ordered it for the first time, and I can now confidently say, it is my second favorite after the roast beef.  He too, prefers the Rosemary Olive Oil bread (although this time he got Kalamata Olive) to compliment the Italian dry salami, house roasted roma tomatoes, spicy pepperoncini, and romaine lettuce. 
They use olive oil to give this sandwich its moisture, but not just any olive oil, rather olive oil infused with house made basil pesto.  No mayonnaise.  I know some people are mayo haters, but I'm far from that.  Sometimes, however, a sandwich is in need of something extra special, and Con Pane nailed it with this one.  Definitely one of their messiest sandwiches, since the oil tends to ooze out of the crevices in the bread, but you want that with this one.  Delicious.


We also enjoy the ambiance of the eatery.  The rich dark wood, the chalkboard menu, and the friendly service.  They pay attention to detail and it doesn't go unnoticed.
Even the filtered water is something to behold.  The tank is equipped with a beautiful stainless quarter-turn valve.  It's fun just to get water! 


The bakery is always cranking, turning out french baguettes, artisan multi-grain, raisin & hazelnut, cibattas, focaccias, and their sinful brioche cinnamon rolls, scones, and cookies.  I could go on and on, but you'll just have to go and try for yourself.  They have something for everyone's taste.  They are located in the Shelter Island area of Point Loma, but towards the beginning of summer, they will be moving to Liberty Station.


Con Pane Rustic Breads & Cafe
1110 Rosecrans Street, Suite 100
San Diego, CA 92106
(619) 224-4344
Closed Wednesdays
Monday - Friday:  7:00am to 6:00pm
Saturday:  8:00am to 6:00pm
Sunday:  8:00am to 4:00pm


So when you are trying to decide...Subway? or Con Pane?...I urge you to give this beautiful bakery a go.  You can taste the love they put into their sandwiches.  Maybe this cartoon will help with your decision making.  Good food is an art!
(Originally by Left Handed Toons. Check them out for more funnies.)

6 comments:

  1. If only I could drop in for one of those sandwiches - they sound fabulous! The cartoon is great! I never thought of it until now, and he is spot on and a perfect way to end this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked the cartoon! I found it funny and spot on too. When you come to SD, we'll have to go to Con Pane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, the worse part about reading this posting is knowing I just can't go next weekend to try. Our neighborhood just opened a new cafe at the corner from our house, so I will satisfy my taste buds with the place for a while to support my local community. If you are ever in Atlanta, I would love to take you to our neighborhood eating joints, simple, but good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do hope I get another trip to Atlanta soon. Would love to see you guys and also enjoy some local food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jen,
    Thanks for the nice post. We have moved to Liberty Station at 2750 Dewey Road, Suite 100, San Diego, California 92106

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, congrats on your move! I've heard the space is much larger. Both my dad and fiance have been recently, but I need to get there myself! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete