Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Once upon a year...

I started a food blog.  The year has been incredibly filling and fulfilling.  I wasn't certain where it was going to take me, but the journey has been more thrilling and eye-opening than I could have ever imagined.  I've been to wonderful restaurants, where the dishes have made me study each bite in the hopes of recreating the same tastes at home.  I've made some delicious recipes, from folks all over the world and brought those flavors into my home.


But my favorite part about this year hasn't been the food; it's been about the people I've met.  The people I've dined with.  Friends, family, acquaintances; the couple sitting next to us at the bar.  To me it's been about the experience.  Food brings everyone together, from all parts of the world.  It is a common ground and a necessity we all share.  I encourage everyone to embrace this necessity and pursue the most enjoyment as possible through dining, through the experience, instead of simply just eating. 


I've learned that several people share this same passion.  Take Roger Ebert.  He can't eat anymore.  He can't drink anymore.  But worst of all, he can't speak anymore.  My first thought was the horror of not being able to taste a succulent shrimp or sink your mouth into a crisp apple, but I was wrong.  Roger brought me back to the root of it all in his comment "So that's what sad about not eating.  The loss of dining, not the loss of food. It may be personal, but for, unless I'm alone, it doesn't involve dinner if it doesn't involve talking. The food and drink I can do without easily. The jokes, gossip, laughs, arguments and shared memories I miss. Sentences beginning with the words, "Remember that time?"...So yes, it's sad. Maybe that's why I enjoy this blog. You don't realize it, but we're at dinner right now."  Roger Ebert. 


I too enjoy my blog and the people I interact with.  That's my favorite part. The individuals and communities that have embraced me, be it online or through our dining experiences.  I thank you all for your support, for without you, I wouldn't have learned how deep my passion runs.  Oh, and for those of you that wonder where the name "lick-a-plate" came from, you can read about it here on my first blog post.  For those that know already, you can see the name is still alive and well, courtesy of my son, Ryan.

8 comments:

  1. Love your blog Jen! glad I have a bit more time now to read it.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, Jen... what a great post! Glad that we're food blogger friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That means a lot, Janice, coming from a fellow blogger! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look forward to another great year. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great read! I enjoyed it very much indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on one year! I check in often and so enjoy reading your great posts (like this one). Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! This post was definitely from the heart.

    ReplyDelete