Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Crepes for dinner, you say?


On the menu for tonight's dinner was an Amy's frozen pizza.  Not the most exciting of all dinners, but they're quite good for a quick meal.  I soon realized that my son, Ryan, had pizza for lunch and we were going to be having pizza for dinner tomorrow night at the annual pumpkin carving evening at my parent's house.  Ryan had just finished his last cooking class at school and brought home the collection of recipes.  "Let's make crepes!", he proclaimed proudly - I think the little bit of french in him is starting to surface :)  Now of course we could have made savory crepes, but that didn't sound quite as fun.  So basically we ended up having dessert for dinner - some crepes with jam, and some with cinnamon and sugar.  I'm not striving for the mother of the year award, so I figured, why not!
It was fun and easy.  I had actually never made crepes before, so it was a good thing that Ryan had already made them once in his cooking class.  He even showed me how to swirl the pan correctly!  They turned out light, thin, and delicious.  And I must admit, having dessert for dinner is sinfully wonderful.  Ryan has been taking an after school course on cooking from The Harvard Cookie Girl.  Yes, yes, I know he's a boy and it's named cookie girl, but there are surprisingly a lot of boys in this session!  I'm so pleased it is offered at his school and that he's enjoyed it so much.  He's even signing up for the next session. 





Crepes
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
2 TBL canola oil
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt




In a large bowl, mix together eggs, milk, water, and oil.  Add the dry ingredients and mix.  Heat a lightly-oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat.  Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe.  Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.  Cook the crepe for about 1 minute, until the bottom is light brown.  Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side.  Serve hot.  You can also add some fresh fruit or peanut butter and then roll the crepe.

2 comments:

  1. I have been making crepes for the last few weeks and still struggle with the swirl, you will have to show me the proper technique some day. These look amazing and I love how they cling to the fork, makes me want to grab a bite right off the computer!

    Keep on cooking and writing - looking forward to the next meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being a faithful reader! The only swirl technique I've figured out is to swirl as you pour it into the pan instead of waiting until after you pour. Kind of weird though - like patting your head and rubbing your belly :)

    ReplyDelete